Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Another hard choice

We had to put a cat down in 2006 for something called FIP. They say it is highly contagious among cats, but there is no way to treat it so as long as they aren't showing symptoms we let them be.

FIP is fatal 100% of the time once they start showing symptoms. Well Cole is starting to show symptoms. Cole is our "special" cat. When we got him they told us he would never be a lap cat. For the first week we had him he hid. Well Big Man went out to his friends place for a Friday. Cole came out of hiding and he and I bonded. He became my cat. Slowly he started to come out of his shell. Now he is the biggest lap cat. He is great with the kids and an all around good cat. He always threw up. The vet couldn't explain why, we tried a thousand different foods and we couldn't find anything wrong with him. He would only do it once or twice a week so the vet said as long as he eats and drinks he is ok.

Well now he is throwing up 6 or 7 times a day, barely eating and excuse the TMI having really stinky, runny poops. I called the vet and we are bringing him in on Friday. I think we are going to have to put him down.

I am heartbroken because he has come so far. He has become a member of our family. Banana's first word was "Cole", it just really stinks.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry. I understand how a cat can make themselves a huge part of your life, and to lose them hurts horribly.

    I still think of Callie almost everyday, and it's been 7 years.

    ReplyDelete