Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Great Chicken Stock Disaster of 2009

I have some very handy friends. They do cool things like make butter, do wainscoting themselves. I aspire to be like these people. So when I got a bunch of chicken thighs with bones from Angel Food Ministries, I thought "Hey Q1 you can make chicken stock from scratch like your hero Alton Brown".

I spent all day yesterday cooking the chicken thighs in the slow cooker to make it easier to get the meat off the bones. It went very well. I had my mom bring over a stock pot, I thought it was going to be so easy.

Banana wanted to help me, so I set her up over by the fridge with the new "cookering" stuff we got her for her birthday. I go about warming up the liquid and chopping the carrots, celery and onions. Dump them in and stir.

Uh-oh my pot is smoking from the underside. No big deal if something is on the burner it will burn off. Not with my luck. So I figure I will pick up the pot wipe the bottom and we're back in business.

What is it they say about the best laid plans? As I am lifting the pot the momentum carries it forward and I end up dumping half to pot all over me and all over the floor. Luckily Banana is far enough away she misses most of the fall out. Also luckily it has just started to warm, so it feels like a warm bath. A warm bath of chickeny goodness. *gag*

I was going to try making the butter that J and C and Me made, but after this debacle I think my at home handiness is on hold for a while.

3 comments:

  1. Hey TQ, Can you please email me?

    0LittleMissSunshine0@gmail.com

    You may recognize that name lol

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol!!

    You must have missed my rant where I had strained the stock and had it cooling in the sink and the hubs rinsed the dog's bowl into it! 24 hours of simmering down the drain!!!

    The butter is way easier....just be sure you've got something with a tight lid! We didn't really do that for food purposed (though we will be eating it) but as a neat science experiment. It just seems so wild to me that you can shake up milk and get butter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LittleMiss-You have mail!

    Rebecca- I did miss that. I had to keep telling mine not to touch ANYTHING. He kept telling me I left the stove on. I liked the idea one of your commenters had about adding herbs and such to it. I also think adding Cinnamon Sugar would be kind of neat too.

    ReplyDelete