Monday, February 8, 2010

What is family?

There was a thread on my mommy board about how much help your parents give you. The answers varied from "Help us? Ha we help them" to "My parents pay my bills every month". This got me thinking about my family.

There is no denying that my family is close. We spend holidays together, and sometimes we even just hang out. In fact one time Big Man was at his podcast and my parents came over and watched a movie.

Well this past Sunday I went grocery shopping with my dad. The roads were bad, but we needed things so instead of 2 vehicles going out we car pooled. We also shared one cart, as there were not many carts left with no snow on them.

When it came I went to pull out my wallet to pay, my dad said "Don't worry I'll pay for it." It wasn't much probably 20-30$ worth of stuff. I thanked him, but didn't make a big deal about it.

Today my parents called to ask if Big Man would mind clearing out their extra parking spot. He went over without a second thought. Then they took us out for dinner. Tomorrow night I am making chicken and dumplings and they are invited.

In 4 or 5 years, when they retire and sell their home, they are going to use some of the profit (the other part is going to my brother Surprise Mr. Penguin if you are reading this) to go as a down payment on a house.

Some people on the board would say "Well they should use that money for their retirement. They don't want you to be grown up. They want to keep a hold on you."

Well none of that is true.

They are going to live with us. My dad is getting older, and hates the idea of an assisted living facility. By moving in with Scott and I, my mom will have help taking care of my dad. There is no way she could take care of him by herself. I know he will know what we are doing, but hopefully he will be more ok with this, than a "home".

I guess the whole point of this ramble is, isn't this what families are for? To help take care of each other? Can't a family member just do something nice? Monetarily or not? We can't pay my parents back for the money they have given us. But we do for them what we can.
I love my parents, and I love my brother. There is nothing I wouldn't do for them. And I know if the chips are down, they would do whatever they can to help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment